While erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common problem among men, it can be an embarrassing and uncomfortable topic to talk about. It’s only natural that many men would rather look for alternative treatments than discuss it openly with their doctor. One of the natural treatments that has been gaining attention as of late is cannabidiol (CBD). Could CBD potentially help treat ED? Let’s take a closer look.
What is CBD?
CBD is one of the hundreds of cannabinoids found in hemp or marijuana plants. Unlike its psychoactive cousin, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD does not cause any psychotropic effects or make users feel “high” when consumed. Instead, many people have started using CBD for its potential health benefits, such as helping with inflammation, pain relief, anxiety, insomnia and more.
Causes of Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is the inability to get and keep an erection firm enough for sex. Symptoms of ED include trouble getting an erection, trouble keeping an erection, or reduced sexual desire. ED can occur from a combination of physical and psychological issues.
- Physical Causes of ED: heart disease, clogged blood vessels, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, metabolic syndrome Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, alcoholism or other substance abuse, sleep disorders, treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate, surgeries or injuring that affect the pelvic area or spinal cord, and low testosterone.
- Psychological causes of ED: Stress, depression, anxiety, other mental health conditions, relationship problems.
Does CBD Help with Erectile Dysfunction?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that some users have used CBD to treat erectile dysfunction successfully. However, there is very limited scientific evidence to back up these claims at this time. A 2019 study published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine did find some evidence that topical CBD oil could be beneficial for ED treatment due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Current findings demonstrate that the selective CB2 agonist, JWH-133, decreases ROS production in the corpus cavernosum of hypercholesterolemic mice. Moreover, it suggests that JWH-133 treatment increases basal NO production within the penis. Furthermore, these effects were associated with a reduction in the corpus cavernosum collagen content. These data suggest that CB2 activation improves the oxidative stress and fibrosis deposition in hypercholesterolemic condition.
JWH-133 (Dimethylbutyl-deoxy-Delta-8-THC) is a potent selective CB2 receptor that CBD successfully interacts with. This means cannabinoid therapy helps to relax the tissues around the penis while also reducing oxidative stress.
Questions to Ask Before Trying Plant Medicine for Erectile Dysfunction
- Have you notice a reduced libido (lack of desire to have sex)?
- Do you have trouble getting an erection or keeping an erection?
- Do you feel anxious, stressed out or depressed?
- Has your doctor checked your testosterone/ hormone levels?
- Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure, arthrosclerosis, sleep disorders, Parkinson’s, MS, any surgeries in the pelvic area or treatments for prostate cancer or enlarged prostate (BPH)?
- Are you taking any medications?
- CBD (isolate, full spectrum, broad spectrum) - While there isn’t research directly supporting CBD effectively treating ED, there is evidence that it can help with some of the underlying physical and psychological causes of ED. CBD can help regulate mood, reduce stress, anxiety and depression, reduce pain, improve sleep, decrease inflammation (which could restrict blood flow to the penis), help with diabetes and blood pressure, and regulate hormones. For anxiety related ED you may want to take CBD 1-2 hours prior to intercourse.
- Prowess - helps boost libido, improves sexual performance, increases testosterone levels, increases blood circulation for harder erections, and helps decrease stress, anxiety or depression
- Shilajit - natural aphrodisiac, maintains sexual hormone levels, enhances sex drive/libido, may help lower blood pressure cholesterol, reduces stress and anxiety
- Ashwaghanda – mood balance, reduces stress and anxiety, reduces blood sugar levels, decreases cholesterol, aids sex drive and premature ejaculation.
- CBD Lubricant - is thought to stimulate blood flow, reduce stress and increase pleasure (may be beneficial if you suffer from dryness or painful sex).
Click here to shop product suggestions for erectile dysfunction.
Plant Medicine for Erectile Dysfunction
In conclusion, there is quite a bit of evidence suggesting that certain forms of plant medicine and CBD may help with erectile dysfunction symptoms. The body cannot heal unless the mind does also, which is why it is critical to address the whole body instead of simply the symptom of the inability to achieve erection.
With proper care and attention on getting to the root cause of the problem, ED can often be treated effectively so you can get back to feeling confident and healthy again soon!
As always, if you have any questions about starting your cannabinoid therapy journey, please do not hesitate to contact us. Message us here or give us a jingle at one of our locations!