CBD for COPD: Benefits and Administration Methods
What is COPD?
COPD stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema both belong to the group of diseases that COPD refers to. COPD does not have a cure, but there are methods for treatment.
- Chronic bronchitis is diagnosed when a person has a productive cough that lasts for three months at a time or more and recurs for at least two years in a row. This is caused by inflamed bronchi, the tubes in the lungs.
- Emphysema causes shortness of breath and is caused by damage to alveoli, the air sacs in the lungs. People with emphysema may also have chronic bronchitis.
What Causes COPD?
Things like tobacco smoke, air pollution, genetics and respiratory infections can all play a role in developing COPD. Symptoms of COPD include shortness of breath and trouble taking deep breaths, frequent coughing or wheezing, and excess production of mucus, flem, or sputum.
There are several different treatment methods used for COPD, many are often used in conjunction with each other to best help with managing symptoms. There is unfortunately no cure for COPD, so treatment methods are aimed at managing symptoms, improving overall health, and slowing the progression of the disease.
- Smoking cessation is often the first step in starting treatment, as 85-90% of COPD cases are due to smoking.
- Avoiding air pollutants. This may require an individual to make further lifestyle changes so that they are not exposed to things like dust and chemicals; including tobacco smoke.
- Exercise is a large part of managing COPD, as it helps to strengthen the muscles that support the lungs and improve lung capacity. Exercise also helps maintain a healthy weight, which can make symptoms more manageable.
- Medication for symptoms like coughing and wheezing. These medications can include bronchodilators to increase lung capacity and glucocorticosteroids to reduce inflammation.
- Preventing illness. Individuals with COPD are more likely to get severe disease from things like pneumonia, COVID-19 and influenza. Because of this, some people may choose to get vaccinated.
CBD as a Treatment for COPD
While more research is needed, there is evidence to suggest that CBD may be helpful as a part of COPD treatment. Currently, there are a couple reasons why CBD may help someone suffering from COPD. The following sections will describe how people with COPD may benefit from adding CBD to their treatment.
Benefits of CBD for COPD
Inflammation plays a big part in COPD symptoms. CBD can help with this factor as it has anti-inflammatory properties. As mentioned above, glucocorticosteroids are commonly prescribed to reduce inflammation but can cause side effects like hypertension, depression and weight gain. CBD may be an option for those who other medications may not be helping or have harmful side effects. In addition, CBD is great for overall health and can help with things like sleep, pain, anxiety and mood. As always, it is a good idea to consult your physician before adding CBD to your treatment especially if you are taking other medications.
CBD can help with smoking cessation, which is something that people with COPD often struggle with. The physical addiction of hand to mouth smoking may be just as hard to overcome as the chemical addiction to nicotine. Customers often look for a replacement for addictive habits like smoking and many feel vaping CBD is a helpful step in transitioning away from tobacco products. This healthier alternative addresses the physical habit of smoking while also providing benefits of CBD. CBD also helps to mitigate withdrawal symptoms from quitting smoking like mood disturbances, irritability, lack of sleep, headaches and more.If you would like to learn more, check out our article, Can CBD Help Me Quit Smoking Cigarettes?.
Best Products for COPD treatment
- Edibles in the form of CBD gummies deliver the benefits of CBD in easy to eat fruit flavored bites.
- Tinctures offer fast relief for any onset issues, a water soluble formula can even be mixed in a cold drink and is readily available for our bodies to absorb.
- Capsules are easy to take and come in a variety of strengths so individuals can pick the right dose from them.
- Smokeables and vapes provide fast absorption through inhalation and can provide a substitute for those quitting tobacco products.
Edibles, tinctures and capsules are ultimately going to be the best fit for someone with COPD since they do not require inhalation and will create the best environment for the lungs to begin to heal. Ultimately, what is right for one person may not be right for someone else. It's best to fit a product that fits best into your lifestyle and one that you can build a consistent regimen around. Most customers tend to see improvement in their well-being after just two weeks of consistent use. We love helping customers find their perfect fit, so please do not hesitate to reach out. We are here for you!
My name is Amber. I am a cannabinoid consultant and columnist for Happy Trails. I have a Bachelor of Science in Biology. I enjoy learning about things I have passion for, and my family lovingly calls me a “human encyclopedia”. Read more about Amber here.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/copd/basics-about.html
Julia, N. (2021, October 10). How Can CBD Oil Help You to Quit Smoking Cigarettes? CFAH. R https://cfah.org/cbd-oil-for-quitting-tobacco/#:~:text=Cigarette%20quitters%20can%20use%20CBD,less%20susceptible%20to%20cigarette%20cues
Kandola, A. (2021, October 13). How can you manage your COPD symptoms? Medical News Today. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/copd-management
Mayo Clinic. Bronchitis. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bronchitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20355566
Mayo Clinic. Emphysema. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/emphysema/symptoms-causes/syc-20355555
Werner, C. (2021, July 29). CBD Oil for COPD: Evidence and Research. Healthline. https://www.healthline.com/health/copd/cbd-for-copd